Native Ideals, Arlee, MT

Native Ideals, Arlee, MT

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

From California Back to Washington for Cpt. MoonSparrow

Leaving California was especially hard for me. I was leaving behind people and land that I love and the spirit of my Babykitty whom hopefully is living the life I want in the Redwoods. My adventure alone was still great and I often asked myself how Babykitty would have traveled with me. I am sure she would have done fine. I left California after hanging out a few days in Arcata with my friend Jackalope. We had a blast!! We rented a room in a cute little hostel, got tattoos, I fixed my fixed gear and road the hills, and she went to the sauna. Our departure from one another was quite sad; thinking it would be a long time (at least a year) before we would see each other again. #travellife You never get to keep the ones you love. My new motto is "Love and Let Love." You cannot keep these amazing people to yourself.
My travel gear was my bike, an aluminum framed backpack, and a small booksack stuffed with pillow pets. :) They are Babykitty's. From Arcata I made my way to Coos Bay,Or in about 12 hours. Since my travels and meeting the  people I have - spending money on a motel was not in my plan. The street would have to do. First I would try to make a friend that would allow me to crash. The Tioga building was a locked apartment building with a bar called Captains on the bottom. This would be my hangout because it was directly across the street from the bus stop. I met an older retired lady named Valerie whom called me over to her and actually talked me into going to have a beer. She, I thought, may be the one. She was a tough cookie this Valerie, and was not going to allow me to sleep on her floor, but we hung out for the night.  There was a great covered stoop of a Tai-chi studio, next door to the bus stop, this was camp. Luckily my pack included 2 blankets and a ton of cat pillows and pillowpets, so I was probably the most comfortable to ever sleep on the street. HAHA It was slightly cold and definitely misting rain. There were two nights to stay in this town. The bus to Eugene,Or did not leave until Sunday at 6am. My time in Coos Bay was well spent riding around town in the mist, hanging out in a christian coffee shop with wifi, and eating some thai. Saturday night in Coos Bay led me back to the Tioga, maybe Valerie would let me in tonight, but not so much luck. Valerie did connect me with Bill who lived on the edge of town alone in a neighborhood. Bill said I was welcome to stay the night with no funny business. I tried to refuse because I was already at the bus stop, but he said he could bring me back in the morning. How could I refuse "go with the flow right" who knows what could happen to me on the street.  Bill was nice his dog Bud was even nicer. Bud was not fixed. :/ Everything went well I slept with my switch blade in hand and the next morning went outside to pee - as his only bathroom was in his bedroom. I came to learn Bill had little girls that were close to my age and that he was a genuine kind heart. Bill awoke and delivered me to my bus stop - I gave him a hug goodbye he said next time I pass through I have a place to stay.
The bus ride to Eugene allowed me to sleep most of the way. The sleep that was gathered in Coos Bay was not sufficient. Grabbing breakfast in Eugene at a cute little diner by the bus station and ironically across the street from a bar called The Jackalope. (the same name of my Arcata friend) There were a few signs like this on my journey that kept telling me you are on the right track and being looked after. In this diner having coffee and toast I waited for my bus to Portland, Or. On that bus I met a character name Michael. Michael lives outside of Eugene, but was on his way to visit his son and grand kids. This guy was hilarious saying things like "Yeah Adam and Eve were Spearing T-Rex's." and telling jokes about strawberries. It was quite entertaining. Our bikes cuddled under the bus for the ride. Michael also offered me a place to stay next time I pass through. I need to actually send him a card. Portland was scary because a man on one of the rides told me he was held up a block from the bus station, with a gun. This told me not to sleep on the street. No time to waste, it was getting late. I checked my bike in to be loaded on the train the next day and bought my ticket. Luckily unlike Coos Bay; Portland had Hostels, but the Hostel is about 25 blocks over the river and through some hoods. My luggage was not that light, but my stride remained steady, and with the advice of my friend Bean I just kept a mean face on, so no one would fuck with me - switch blade in hand. I also kept an ear behind me. Arrived and got some dinner my train would leave for Spokane tomorrow around 5pm.  That night I called Jor and Bee and caught up with there adventures and asked for some good vibes to get me through Portland. I was only scared because it was finally realized that I am alone and at the time vulnerable. There was contact made with our Caravan of Glam friend Johnny (Lincoln City Coastal Pride), but he responded too late, but also said I was welcome next time.
The train ride was glorious as was the 25 block hike back to the train station. Unfortunately my ride was mostly in the dark otherwise the scenery would have been to die for I am sure. There of course were friends made on this train ride. Nick a young talented artist from Wisconsin whom was visiting family in Oregon. He will travel more in his future he says. Gary from Montana. A state I LOVE and will hopefully visit this summer. Gary of course said I could visit and gifted me my first straw farm hat as good luck. There also needs to be a card to him. Pulling into Spokane I became frantic to reach my things and then my new roomate Thom.
Thom was waiting for me and helped me get my luggage and bike to the truck. Thom and Torie are a WWOOF farm the girls and I stayed on. [Thom and Thow and Footie Farm are the blogs about our stay] This DYNAMITE couple is cool enough to allow me to crash on their farm until I figure out what to do next. They are actually cool enough to allow me to come and go travel as I please. The best thing besides their lax and hilarious personalities is their farm and interest are everything a girl could want. They fill me with education daily and we even learn new things together. We have group projects going and have a few personal projects to keep us busy. Footehills Farm is part of a Permaculture Guild for Spokane and LINC Foods, which supplies local grow produce and beef to Schools and Restaurants in the area. COOL right?
Farming is great the season is just beginning. There is tilling, mulching, seed starting, and fixing up what the snow weighed down. Building compost, bird/bat houses, fences, steps down into the garden. The weeding has even started already. There are a mess of snow berries to be pulled (they are the devil nothing eats them). We hope to have a few WWOOFers join this summer and  I have purchased a bike with gears in hopes of taking a couple months to bike back to California by some route that is undetermined and hopefully meet back up with my partners in crime there. Well until I travel again my friends. In May to Sasquatch Festival to Portland to Olympia and back to Spokane.  Oh The Possibilities!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment